Friday, April 8, 2011

Hummus...who knew?

I love hummus. Especially with pita chips. I love making homemade hummus, with yummy garlic. Gets me hungry just thinking about it. Well, last week Publix had hummus b1g1 free. Um, duh, of course I'll buy it, because as noted above, I love it. So I ate a good bit of it, savoring each bite. The next day was hell. Literally. Let me explain: my child is (knock on wood) an excellent sleeper. She will sleep for 9-10 hours, uninterrupted, at night and will usually take 2 or 3 2 hour naps during the day. For me, this is bliss. Naptime is essential for mommy to get stuff done around the house, work, etc.


The day after I ate hummus? E slept her usual amount at night, but hardly napped during the day. And when I had done all I could do, I tried to get her to play with her "friends" (which consists of her toys hanging above her head on the floor), she wasn't having it. The instant I put her down to play, she cried. And thats when I realized we had a problem. E doesn't cry like that. She loves playing with her toys, looking at herself in the mirror and what have you. If I put her down to play, whether under her 'dome of destruction' or in her bouncy seat, and she cries, something is not right. So, the whole time she wasn't napping, she was in my arms. And this gets difficult. By the time hubs got home, I was in a fragile state. He took over so I could run out to clear my head. Wouldn't you know, E slept for 2 hours once he got home?

Without determining the problem, I ate hummus again on Weds. Thursday, was a repeat of the day above. Almost to the minute. E woke up early in the morning, barely napped all day and was generally unhappy. Today its like a whole new baby. She napped for 2+ hours this morning and has been happy all day. I'm no expert, but I believe my beloved hummus is the culprit. I never would have thought it would cause her belly discomfort, but I'm not eating it again if it saves me from a terrible day!

On a completely separate note: I've given up dairy. Milk, cheese, butter, done. We had a nice run and I do miss my dear friends, but for now, they are dead to me. I noticed when I went to visit my family that I ate quite an excessive amount of dairy. Much more than usual. And the effect it had on E was remarkable. She had some congestion, a rash on her belly, a red little bottom and spit up a ton. I've now been dairy-free for a little more than a week and already I've noticed a great difference in her. The rash on her tummy is completely gone. Her congestion has gotten much better and her little bottom is no longer red. I am no doctor and I realize that I self-diagnosed, but I'd say dairy was the culprit. Don't know if its related, but I've lost 10 pounds (not just since eliminating dairy, but in general).

4 comments:

  1. ew. I'm so sorry. J had a milk allergy that forced me to give up dairy, too. The bonus? I went down to 5 below fighting weight! Giving up dairy is like going to the Biggest Loser camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's rough. I was so lucky with P. in that her only issue when nursing was that she'd get mega farty if I had broccoli (and I love roasted broc and can deal with farts so I never really had to give it up).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep forgetting that you have to be aware of what you eat may give baby an upset tummy. (As I eat a piece of pepperoni pizza).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cari,
    The beans the hummus is made from could have been giving E gas....that might have been what was wrong....

    So sorry you had to give up dairy...we love some dairy products at our house!

    ReplyDelete