Friday, January 21, 2011

The Green Light Monster

There's a monster in my room.

When I was single, I slept in a cave. I had 3 levels of protection on the windows to keep any and all light out. There were the regular blinds, followed by a paper-like shade, followed by black-out curtains. You could literally sleep for 24 hours and never know it. And then there was the air purifier and sound machine that lulled you to sleep. It was glorious. So when we got married, it was quite a change not having all those things. We do keep a fan in the room for the soft, white noise effect, but we just have regular blinds on the windows. It was a big transition for me to learn how to sleep with a tiny bit of light!

Now, there's a green light monster that stares me in the face each night. That would be E's baby monitor. Granted, I can't complain because she's slept in her own room and her own crib since the day we brought her home, but each night I stare at the monitor, wondering when/if she's going to cry. And the worst part is I always think I hear her. I could have just left her room with her passed out asleep and when I get in bed, I'm convinced I hear her on the monitor. Its gotten to the point where I hear something thats not there. But what I hear sounds just like her crying! Sometimes I take the monitor and put it really close to my ear to see if I hear her, and it never fails that its just the noises in my head.

I'm slowly realizing that if she's making any type of noise, the monitor will light up and the green light monster will reveal itself once again. But I'm sure I'll keep staring at the green light just waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment